Queen's 175th Anniversary

Queen's University Queen's University

[Queen's University Douglas Library]
[Queen's University Douglas Library]
Celebrating Queen's 175th Anniversary

The University District

1970s to present day
Decade: 1970s
[student housing 1982]

For much of Queen’s history, student housing wasn’t part of the campus plan. Male students lived in boarding houses on the edge of campus, and female students lived in residence buildings such as Ban Righ Hall, built in 1926.

In the 1960s, things changed. Enrolment grew towards 10,000 students and the university adopted a policy of providing a campus bed for every first-year student. To honour this, new residences such as Victoria Hall were built, along with specialty residences for married and international students were built.

The old boarding houses disappeared and upper-year students began living in rented apartments. Sydenham Ward, to the west of campus, became popular. It was close to campus and just a short walk from the amenities of Kingston’s downtown. But the evolving student identity of the neighbourhood began to put pressure on its established residential character; population density increased as residential homes were converted into four- and five-bedroom student homes.

By the 1980s, students in Sydenham Ward became the ascendant population and the area had become known as ‘the ghetto’. In response to student behaviour and property-related issues, local citizens formed advocacy groups that focused on municipal by-law enforcement, better policing and more liaison with the university.

As the new century dawned, joint AMS-City committees were struck to support positive relations between students and local residents. The AMS initiated a Golden Cockroach Award for negligent landlords, later joined by a Key to the Village Award for diligent landlords. In 1994, the AMS created a Municipal Affairs Commission, that two years later, urged students to stop using the term ghetto.

In 1998, the AMS voted to rename the area the “university village.” It also became more active in the area’s upkeep, creating programs for garbage cleanup, home maintenance and better landlord-student relations.

In 2015, the city officially named the area the “University District,” changing street signs to reflect the new name.

Pictured above: students in what is now called the University District in 1982

The historical content of this site was curated by a committee of faculty and staff with submissions from the broader Queen’s community.
These moments are not intended to represent an exhaustive history of the university, but rather significant sign posts in its development.
Special thanks go to University Historian Duncan McDowall for his contributions.
Many thanks also to the people of Queen's University Archives for their support of this anniversary project.
Have feedback about the moments? Please contact qu175@queensu.ca