Education, Training and Awareness for Faculty & Staff
Equity Office - Training
The Equity Office offers various types of training available for Students, Faculty and Staff including an AODA Training Suite and Other Training options. For more information or to complete the training please visit the Equity Office - Training Webpage.
Not sure which training you need or have completed? Check out the Equity Training Portal to review your current Equity and Accessibility Training requirements.
Equity Office - AODA Training Suite
- Accessible Customer Service: As part of its obligations under the Accessible Customer Service Standard, a regulation under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA), 2005, the University is required to provide training to everyone who acts on its behalf in accessible customer service. This training requirement applies to faculty, staff, managers, directors, department heads, senior administrators and student leaders.
- Access Forward: Developed by Curriculum Services Canada with support from the Government of Ontario , the AccessForward course offers a free, interactive training for Integrated Accessibility Standards Regulation (IASR).
- Human Rights 101: This training provides a basic understanding of rights and responsibilities under the Ontario Human Rights Code. It discusses what you should know about human rights and discrimination, your rights and responsibilities under the Ontario Human Rights Code, and how to apply the Ontario Human Rights Code.
- Accessible Instruction for Educators: Every educator who communicates and interacts with persons with disabilities on behalf of Queen's University must receive training on accessible instruction. At Queen's we consider educators to be all individuals who participate in the creation, development or delivery of materials, activities and assessments for learning to Queen’s students. We also consider Queen’s professional learning instructors and developers who work with and for staff, faculty, and other Queen's personnel to be educators.
Equity Office - Other Training
- Employment Equity: Employment Equity Training is specific training outlined for members sitting on Appointments and RTPC Committees as per the QUFA Collective Agreement
- From Diversity to Inclusion Certificate Program: This program is designed to provide staff and faculty at Queen’s with valuable knowledge and skills to work and lead in an inclusive work environment. It seeks to engage Queen’s staff and faculty in conversations, discovery, and learning about diversity and equity principals and to provide resources, knowledge, and tools required to make Queen’s an inclusive campus.
Human Resources (Learning Catalogue)
The Human Resources Office offers a Learning Catalogue of workshops and programs free to Queen's employees seeking to sharpen your skills and to deepen your knowledge of accessibility issues.
- Mental Health First Aid
- Building Inclusive and Accessible Workplaces
- Accommodation: Disability, Faith, Gender and More
- Employment Equity: Moving Beyond Compliance
ITServices assists the Queen's community make web content more accessible by offering a free online web accessibility course.
Queen's Learning Commons (QLC)
The QLC has two online tutorials on Accessibility Skills through one of its partners, the Adaptive Technology Centre (ATC).
The Accessibility Hub has additional information and developed a series of "How-tos" to assist faculty, staff, and students create an accessible learning environment across the university. These tutorials will also aid Queen’s University meet the requirements of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA).