Faculty of Arts & Science
A place to learn, discover, think and do.

FAQ's for Parents

How many courses do students in Arts & Science take?
A full time student normally takes five courses (30.0 units). Students in BMUS, BA/BEd and BA/BPHE have a load higher than 30.0 units. Students may carry fewer than 30.0 units, and as many as 36.0 units without special permission.

How many courses are students allowed to take in the Spring and Summer terms?
Students are no longer limited in the number of Spring and Summer courses they can take. However, it is recommended that they take no more than 12.0 units.

What does it mean to be a student accepted under the Non-Degree Student Regulation?
A student accepted to Queen's under the Non-Degree Student Regulation may take a maximum course load of 3.0 units per term or 6.0 units over the Fall-Winter Session.

How does the university decide who gets into a limited enrolment course?
During preregistration preference is given according to the following priorities, listed in descending order: students for whom the course is required in their concentration, an option in their concentration, part of their recognized concurrent-education teachable, an elective, or an option in the concentration beyond the normal load. Within each category, priority will be given to students who have the specified prerequisites and are furthest along in their program and are not repeating the course. In addition, priority will be determined by clear criteria published by the department offering the course.

How many courses do part-time students take?
A part-time student may take a maximum course load of 18.0 units over the Fall-Winter Session. A maximum of 9.0 units (or equivalent) may be taken in any one term.

What happens to a student who starts first year and then leaves before completing it?
Students who register in classes and then subsequently withdraw from Queen's do not need to reapply for admission upon their return.  Instead, students must complete and sign a Return to Studies form confirming that they have not attended another post-secondary institution during their absence from Queen's.

Students who do not register in classes and wish to defer their offer of admission must contact Undergraduate Admissions in the Office of the University Registrar.

How do students know what is expected of them in Queen's courses, and how they will be evaluated?
At the beginning of every course, the instructor(s) will provide a clear statement of the basis on which final marks are assigned in the syllabus. They will specify the term work expected and the weight the work will contribute to the final mark.

What happens if a student does very poorly in first year at Queen's? Are people asked to leave in December if they don't do well on their exams?
No one is asked to leave Queen's in December, as first year final marks are based on work that is done between September and April. A student who has attempted 18.0 or more units and whose Grade Point Average is less than 1.60 will be placed on academic probation. The student will be on academic probation until at least 18.0 more unit registrations have been completed. At the end of the probationary period the student's overall grade point average must be at least 1.60 or the student will be required to withdraw for at least one year.

Students who fail to achieve a GPA greater than 0.70 may be required to withdraw from the university for a minimum of one year (12 months). During that period, the student will not be permitted to register in the Faculty. Note that these students will be allowed to return to Arts and Science after sitting out the year.

Under what conditions is a student required to withdraw from the university?
A student will be required to withdraw for a minimum of one or three years if he/she has a GPA less than 0.70 or has previously been required to withdraw for one year and subsequently failed to raise their GPA to 1.60 or better.   Students with extenuating circumstances beyond their control may appeal to waive the requirement to withdraw to the Associate Dean (Studies).

Have Questions?

Call us at 613-533-2470 or email us.

Follow Us

  • Facebook
  • Twitter