Creating A Professional Web Presence
What is it?
CDS502 is a non-credit online course in personal branding strategies with social media to help you design your online presence. You’ll leave this course inspired by case studies and best practices for self-promotion and professional online image management drawn from the worlds of executive coaching, digital marketing, communications research, and from digital culture influencers and newsmakers. It will be delivered over three weeks via the internet. Upon completion of the course, registered students who earn a "pass" on all assignments by the deadlines can request a Queen's University Continuing and Distance Studies Certificate of Achievement.
When is it?
The course will run from 20 September to 4 October, 2014. Webinars will be held on three Saturdays: September 20, 27 and October 4. Live attendance is optional, not required. For your convenience the webinars are recorded and available on demand.
Who will be teaching the course?
How will the course be taught?
In addition to the three webinars, the course will include
- Instructor-recorded videos (available on-demand)
- PowerPoint presentations
- Integrated peer-to-peer discussion and interaction
- Instructor feedback
- Online quizzes to help you track your progress
- Creative assignments
Who should register for this course?
This course is designed for entrepreneurs, students, professionals, educators, job seekers and those facing a career transition who have some experience using social platforms (e.g., LinkedIn) and basic skills using PowerPoint and Photoshop (or equivalent). The skills you will learn in this course will help you build a professional internet presence.
Module 1: Image Management
- strategies for monitoring your online reputation
- configuring a listening station
- how to do a social audit of your online visibility
Module 2: Digital Creativity
- creating digital content with impact
- setting up an editorial calendar
- designing a web-ready resume
Module 3: Building Platforms
- choosing social media platforms that can extend your reach
- strategies for discovering and connecting with thought leaders
- time-saving tips for finding share-worthy content
- best practices in peer-to-peer reciprocity
Cancellation of registration must be received in writing (email to CDS@queensu.ca) Refunds to your credit or debit card will be processed according to the following schedule:
- Up to 10 days before the first class: 90% of course fee will be refunded.
- Up to first day of class: 50% of course fee will be refunded.
- After first day of class: No refund will be issued.