Certificate in Academic Writing
Our new Certificate in Academic Writing* offers Distance students the opportunity to enhance and accredit their writing skills, enabling them to communicate effectively and prepare for future writing tasks in both academic and professional contexts.
This certificate program consists of 12.0 units of degree-credit courses. 6.0 of these units are required courses, while the other 6.0 units can be selected from the option courses described below.
* Available to Distance Students only.
Core courses (6.0 units) offered online
Choose one of the following two courses:
- WRIT 120 (3.0 units): Fundamentals of Effective Writing
- WRIT 125 (3.0 units): Fundamentals of Academic Essay-Writing
Plus the following course:
- WRIT 225 (3.0 units): Writing in Academic Contexts
Option courses (6.0 units) offered online
Choose two of the following three courses:
- WRIT 240 (3.0 units): Writing for Social Media and the Web
- WRIT 265 (3.0 units): Editing in Academic and Professional Contexts
- WRIT 290 (3.0 units): Writing Literary Non-Fiction
You may choose to substitute 3.0 units of WRIT option courses above with 3.0 units of the following courses:
- CWRI 295 (3.0 units): Creative Writing I
- DRAM 251 (3.0 units): Introduction to Playwriting (coming soon)
Click here to see the admission requirements for the certificate programs.
How to Apply
Current Students: If you are already a Distance student at Queen’s in an online degree program and wish to be added into one of the certificate programs, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your request. Students currently in the Interest Category must complete 18.0 units at a 1.6 cumulative GPA to be eligible to request enrolment in one of the online certificate programs.