Snohetta, originating in Norway and with branch offices in New York, is well known for its innovative and creative work such as the Alexandria Library in Egypt and the Oslo Opera House, for which the firm has been awarded The Mies Van der Rohe Award, The European Union Prize for Contemporary Architecture, 2008.
The design team also includes ARUP Consulting Engineers and Theatre Projects Consultants, who are responsible for acoustical properties and the interior design of the performance spaces. Founded in 1980 from an original London U.K. company, ARUP has provided acoustic consulting for venues such as: City Recital Hall (Sydney, Australia), BBC Radio Theatre (London, UK), Getty Center (Los Angeles, CA), Miller Theater (Columbia University, New York, NY), the Istanbul Cultural Centre (Istanbul, Turkey), NYtt Operahus (Oslo, Norway), and Birdsnest (Beijing, China).
The project includes approximately 80,000 square feet to house the following:
- a 563-seat concert hall with superior acoustics
- a large atrium and event space on the waterfront
- a 100-seat studio theatre, offering maximum flexibility for student and community use
- a 90-seat film screening room
- a rehearsal hall for multi-purpose use
- instructional space for the School of Music and the Departments of Drama, Film and Media, and Art
- an art and media lab, to be used for instruction and display
- operating space for the Queen's Performing Arts Office
Opening in 2014!
Follow our progress on the construction web camera