Stephen C. Lougheed - Professor
Research: We are interested in understanding the origins of biodiversity from the level of local adaptation and limiting gene flow in single landscapes, through the genetics of entire species' ranges, to understanding the causes of diversification of entire clades. Our research spans the Americas, with particular emphasis on phylogeography and phylogenetics of select frogs, squamates and birds. We also use a suite of molecular tools, radiotelemetry and habitat characterization to study species of conservation concern in Canada. We increasingly collaborate with personnel of various Canadian resource agencies, both to help translate our scientific findings into meaningful policy focused on endangered and threatened species, and to work with multiple stakeholders to encourage habitat recovery and stewardship.
Lab Website »« email: email@example.com »« telephone: 613-533-6128 ««
Some Recent Publications (students indicated by asterisks):
- Stewart*, K.A. & S.C. Lougheed. 2013. Testing for intraspecific postzygotic isolation between cryptic lineages of Pseudacris crucifer. Ecology and Evolution Early view DOI: 10.1002/ece3.851
- DiLeo*, M.F., J.D. Rouse, J.A. Davila & S.C. Lougheed. 2013. The influence of landscape on gene flow in the eastern massasauga rattlesnake (Sistrurus c. catenatus): insight from computer simulations. Molecular Ecology 21: 4483-4498.
- Lougheed, S.C., L. Campagna*, P.T. Tubaro, J.A. Davila*, L. Campagna*, D.A. Lijtmaer* & P. Handford. 2013. Continental phylogeography of a neotropical songbird, Zonotrichia capensis. BMC Evolutionary Biology 13:58 doi:10.1186/1471-2148-13-58.
- Elmer*, K.R., R.M. Bonett, D.B. Wake & S.C. Lougheed. 2013. Early Miocene origin and cryptic diversification of South American salamanders. BMC Evolutionary Biology 13:59 doi:10.1186/1471-2148-13-59.
- Klaus*, S.P. & S.C. Lougheed. 2013. Changes in breeding phenology of Eastern Ontario frogs over four decades. Ecology & Evolution 3: 835-845. DOI: 10.1002/ece3.501
- Chabot*, A.A., K.A. Hobson, S.L. Van Wilgenburg, G.J. McQuat & S.C. Lougheed. 2012. Advances in linking wintering migrant birds to their breeding-ground origins using combined analyses of genetic and stable isotope markers. PLoSONE.7(8): e43627. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0043627
- Little*, A.G. Kocha. S.C. Lougheed & C.D. Moyes. 2012. Evolution of mitochondrial-encoded cytochrome oxidase subunits in endothermic fish: the importance of taxon-sampling in codon-based models. Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution. 63: 679-684.
- Campagna*, L., P. Benites*, S.C. Lougheed, D.A. Lijtmaer*, A.S. DiGiacomo, M.D. Eaton and P.L. Tubaro. 2012. Rapid phenotypic evolution during incipient speciation in a continental avian radiation. Proceedings of the Royal Society Series B. 279: 1847-1856.
- Xuereb*, A. J.R. Row*, R.J. Brooks, C. MacKinnon & S.C. Lougheed. 2012. Relation between parasitism, stress, and fitness correlates of the Eastern Foxsnake (Pantherophis gloydi) in Ontario. Journal of Herpetology. 40: 555–561.
- Campagna*, L., K. Geale*, P. Handford, D.A. Lijtmaer*, P.L. Tubaro & S.C. Lougheed. 2011. A molecular phylogeny of the Sierra-Finches (Phrygilus, Passeriformes): extreme polyphyly in a group of Andean specialists. Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution 61: 521-533.
- Row*, J.R., G. Blouin-Demers & S.C. Lougheed. 2010. Habitat distribution influences dispersal and fine-scale genetic population structure of eastern foxsnakes (Mintonius gloydi) across a fragmented landscape. Molecular Ecology. 19: 5157-5171.