Qualifications and Research Interests
- PhD in History of Art, University of Oviedo, Spain.
- PG Diploma in Education, University of Cantabria, Spain.
- MA in Cultural and Critical Theory, University of Brighton, UK.
- BA (Hons) History of Art, University of Oviedo, Spain.
My field of specialization includes the visual arts in modern and contemporary Europe (cultural exchanges within the Atlantic arch, post-war proposals, conceptual art, visual poetry, travel literature and landscape representation), with a particular interest on the binaries of memory and perception, travel and exile, alienation and estrangement. My research in art history focuses on pictorial recreations and reinterpretations of cultural heritage and on processes of reconstruction of the past through memory and perception, undertaken by visual artists from maritime backgrounds. In particular, the relationships established between the most avant-garde artistic proposals and popular -even kitsch– elements of these seafaring cultures, and the role that memories of the sea and sailing boats, the coastline and the lighthouses play in conforming the modern artistic imaginary.
Conferences and peer reviewed publication highlights
- La trayectoria artística de Eduardo Sanz. Catálogo razonado y estudio de su obra (Eduardo Sanz’s artistic trajectory. Catalogue raisonné and study of his work), Faro Cabo Mayor Museum and Government of Cantabria, Spain (monograph in publication).
- “From kitsch to success: The creation of the public image of an anti-establishment contemporary painter”, Seventh International Conference on The Image, Liverpool John Moores University, Liverpool, UK, 1-2/09/2016.
- “Eduardo Sanz o la memoria del mar: el exilio como reinterpretación del patrimonio cultural de las comunidades marineras del norte de España (Eduardo Sanz or the memory of the sea: Exile as a reinterpretation of Northern Spain’s maritime cultural heritage)”, IV International Postgraduate Colloquium Coimbra C: Dialogar com os Tempos e os Lugares do(s) Mundo(s), University of Coimbra, Portugal, 6-7/12/2013.
- “A seafarer in land: analysis of Northern Spain’s maritime culture in the work of painter Eduardo Sanz”, Hispanic Studies Postgraduate Conference of Ireland and the UK, University of Galway, Ireland, 28-29/06/2013.
- “El paisaje del faro como referencia literaria en la pintura de Eduardo Sanz: Virginia Woolf, Joseph Conrad and Julio Verne (The landscape of the lighthouse as a literary reference in Eduardo Sanz’s paintings: Virginia Woolf, Joseph Conrad and Julio Verne)”, III Congreso Internacional de Escrituras Silenciadas: el paisaje como historiografía, University of Alcalá de Henares, Spain, 24-27/12/2012.