The Student Services team all offer a non-judgemental, friendly and open service. You are welcome to meet with any of the Student Services team who will listen and, if required, offer advice and guidance.
We are available to provide support, information and guidance on a range of issues. These include:
- Academic accommodations
- Mitigating circumstance
- Difficulties making friends
- Stress and mental health issues
- Accessing study skills support
- Support for students with physical and learning difficulties
- Problems with family/friends
- Difficulties in adjusting to university life
What you can Expect
Non-judgmental: We will not make moral judgments about your situation or behaviour. Our role is to inform you of your options, make you aware of the consequences of these options and provide support and guidance in the choices that you make. Please note, Student Services staff are not trained counsellors. However, we can listen, help, and provide practical and emotional support.
On-Site Counselling Service
The BISC offers a free on-site counselling service in partnership with Steve Clifford and Associates Ltd. Steve is available:
- Mondays 1pm - 3pm
- Thursdays 10am - 1pm
Students can self-refer via email to Steve at Stevecliffordcbt@gmail.com or can ask for a referral via Student Services.
There are some very useful online resources available. For example Student Wellness Services offers a number of self-directed depression & anxiety workshops.
The e-hub team at The Australian National University has developed free, online self-help services that can be accessed anonymously 24 hours a day:
- Online support for people affected by depression and anxiety disorders: www.blueboard.anu.edu.au
- Information about depression and its treatment: www.bluepages.anu.edu.au
- Useful tool providing modules for social and general anxiety and depression: www.ecouch.anu.edu.au
- Interactive program which incorporates cognitive-behaviour therapy: www.moodgym.anu.edu.au
- The Big White Wall www.bigwhitewall.com is also an incredibly useful service for people in psychological distress (a subscription is required).