Queen's University
Search Type


at Herstmonceux Castle, U.K.



at Herstmonceux Castle, U.K.

site header


At some point during your time at the BISC you may be feeling ill, need family planning advice, be concerned about your sexual, physical or mental health and require medical assistance of some form.  You may also need to see a dentist or optician. Here at the BISC we are committed to providing all students with the help in accessing the services you require.

Mental Health

The BISC offers an on-site counselling service, as well as para-professional support services.

Physical Health

The BISC uses the services of the local Herstmonceux Drs Surgery and during the Fall/Winter terms we also have a Dr on-site one day a week for an hour to hold a surgery in Bader Hall.                                        

If you are a student staying in the UK for more than 3 months then you are required to pay an Immigration Health Surcharge to access the National Health Service. During orientation we will ensure that you register with the NHS which will mean that for minor ailments you will be able to access the local surgery for free although there are prescription charges for any one over the age of 19. This may be refundable from your supplementary health insurance on production of receipts when you return home.  It is important, however, to bring details of your private health insurance to the surgery in the event you require a private specialist or hospital treatment. 

It should also be noted that the NHS coverage should not be considered a substitute for extended health care coverage.  You will still need to have the AMS Health Plan (for Queen's students) or equivalent.

If you are staying for less than 3 months then visits to the surgery will not be covered by the NHS although you will always be able to access the surgery but you will have to pay a fee to do so. You should contact your supplemental health insurance provider to see if this fee can be reimbursed under your health plan, and to find out how you would go about getting such a reimbursement.