In 1832 an Act of Parliament named a commission to "superintend and manage the erection and completion of a hospital in or near the town of Kingston." In 1835 the first building was completed on the site where KGH stands today, on land purchased form Archdeacon George Okill Stuart. The building, designed to accommodate 120 patients, remained unoccupied until three years later when the city had the money to buy equipment and furnishings. KGH served as Canada's first Parliamentary building. Parliament met in the hospital from the time of the Union of the Provinces of Upper and Lower Canada in 1841 until 1844. The hospital's affiliation with the Queen's University Faculty of Medicine began in 1854.
Copyright © Queen's University
Kingston, Ontario, Canada. K7L 3N6.