What happens if the union and university are not able to reach an agreement to conclude the terms of a collective agreement?

In this situation either the union or the university can ask the Ontario Ministry of Labour to appoint a conciliator to serve as a neutral third party to help resolve their differences.

If the parties are in negotiations, the conciliation process is mandatory in the sense that a ministry conciliation officer must be appointed at the request of one of the parties before the union can be in a position to engage in a legal strike, or the university can be in a legal position to lock-out employees in the bargaining unit.

Conciliation is a mandatory part of the negotiation process before a strike or lock-out can occur.

Posted in: FAQs: Collective Bargaining Negotiations

  • Facebook
  • Twitter