Richardson Stadium has been a fixture at Queen’s for nearly 100 years. The original Richardson Stadium was built in 1921 and located on what is now Tindall Field as a gift of James Armstrong Richardson, Queen’s Chancellor from 1929 to 1939. In 1971 the stadium was rebuilt on its current site at West Campus.
More than four decades later, the stadium began showing its age. In May, 2013 an engineering report recommended the removal of sections of bleachers and later that summer temporary seating was installed at the field.
The revitalization of Richardson Stadium is not just the building of a new stadium; it is the building of a strong varsity sports program for Queen’s, and of a strong university overall. The project is a priority within Queen’s $500-million Initiative Campaign. It is the next step in the university’s efforts to enhance its athletics and recreation facilities to promote the health and wellness of all students. Other recent projects include the Athletics and Recreation Centre and the redevelopment of Tindall, Nixon, and Miklas-McCarney fields.
Plans for the revitalization were kicked off in March 2014 with the announcement of a $10 million pledge to the stadium project from Queen’s alumnus and former Gael Stu Lang and his wife Kim. That announcement was followed by news of a $5 million contribution from the Richardson Foundation. Other donors have also come forward to contribute to the project, bringing the total amount raised to more than $17 million. The university will contribute an additional $3 million for infrastructure support of the stadium, bringing the total funding to $20.27 million.
In December 2014, Queen’s Board of Trustees approved the revitalization project. The university continues to engage Queen’s and Kingston community members as the project moves toward completion.