Developing a Lesson Plan
Effective teaching begins with effective planning. A lesson plan provides instructors with a guide to a lesson.
This guide will enable the instructor to work toward achieving objectives for the lesson.
Introduction (15% of class time)
- Provide an overview of the session (Agenda)
- Make links to previous lessons
- Discern the main point of the lesson
- Identify the importance of the lesson to the overall learning goals of the course
Body (70% of class time)
- Break the lesson into segments/different activities to assist you in making the point
- Cue students that you are moving from one segment to the next
- Clearly explain your rationale to students
Conclusion (15% of class time)
- Restate your main point
- Show the links between the main point and ideas that you have covered in class
- Link to the next session