James Cappon graduated from the University of Glasgow in 1879 with an MA.
After this, he taught in Europe and Britain for several years until he was appointed to the new chair of English at Queen's University in 1888.
Up to this point, the History professor had taught English. In 1906 Cappon was appointed Dean of Arts. He retired in 1919.
He is buried in the Cataraqui Cemetery.