Agnes Craine graduated from the Kingston Women's Medical College in 1888. The College was created after women were banned from the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons (an early incarnation of the Faculty of Medicine) in 1893.
After her graduation, Ms. Craine moved back to Smiths Falls, Ontario, where she practised as a physician for the rest of her life.
In 1936, she gave Queen's the largest gift it received in the 1930s - a sum of $350,000 to be used for support of the emerging field of biochemistry. These funds were used for the construction of the Craine Building and the establishment of the Craine Chair in Biochemistry.