Please enable javascript to view this page in its intended format.

Queen's University
 

Queen's Encyclopedia

Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Department of

This department traces its history to the founding of the Faculty of Medicine in 1855, when J.P. Litchfield was appointed Professor of Midwifery and Forensic and State Medicine. When Queen's officials discovered to their shock that Litchfield was not qualified to teach midwifery - indeed, he had never even attended a birth - they removed him from his post.

He was replaced in 1861 by Michael Lavell, who held the post of Professor of Obstetrics and Diseases of Women and Children. Obstetrics and Gynaecology were taught in conjunction with Children's Medicine until well into this century. The Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology was established as a separate unit in 1928.

Today, the department is centred in Kingston General Hospital, where practising faculty provide care for patients, conduct research, and teach. Major changes over the years include the expansion of pre-natal care and the development of a birthing centre in the hospital.

Learn more about the Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology...

Kingston, Ontario, Canada. K7L 3N6. 613.533.2000