Dr F. P. Lock
(Emeritus) PhD McMaster
Restoration and eighteenth-century literature, politics, and intellectual history; Samuel Johnson; Edmund Burke; Edward Gibbon; the rhetoric of numbers.
- “New Gibbon Letters,” Review of English Studies 60 (2009): 96–107.
- “Thouing the King in Shakespeare’s Plays,” Essays in Criticism 58 (2008): 120–142.
- “Adam Smith and ‘the Man of System,’ ” Adam Smith Review 3 (2007)
- Edmund Burke, Volume 2: 1784–1797 (Oxford, 2006).
- “New Garrick Letters,” Theatre Notebook (2006).
- “Burke, Ireland, and India: Reason, Rhetoric, and Empire,” Edmund Burke’s Irish Identities, ed. Sean Patrick Donlan (Dublin: Irish Academic Press, 2007).
- “An Unpublished Letter from Adam Smith to Sir John Macpherson,” Scottish Historical Review (2006).
Author of Susanna Centlivre (Twayne, 1979), The Politics of “Gulliver’s Travels” (Clarendon, 1980), Swift’s Tory Politics (U of Delaware P, 1983), Burke’s “Reflections on the Revolution in France” (Allen & Unwin, 1985), and Edmund Burke, 2 vols. (Oxford, 1998–2006). Author of articles on Austen, Burke, Gibbon, Shakespeare, Adam Smith, and Swift in such journals as English Historical Review, Book Collector, Burlington Magazine, RES, MLR, and Essays in Criticism. Co-editor (with Claude Rawson) of the Collected Poems of Thomas Parnell (U. of Delaware P, 1989).
Recipient of Queen’s University Prize for Excellence in Research, 2000.
Queen’s Research Chair, 2002.