Please consult the document or read the information below prior to traveling.
Travel Expenses How To (84KB)
Travel Expenses How To
- Travel claim forms are found on the Queen's Financial Services website http://www.queensu.ca/financialservices/forms.html.
Use the appropriate domestic or international form and GST/PST or HST form. Convert all currencies to Canadian dollars and show the conversion rate used.
- Travel policy is located on the Queen's Strategic Procurement website at http://www.queensu.ca/procurement/travel.html.
- Have a look at the form before you go so you have an idea of what is required. We recommend you use this form as some calculations are built in.
- Enter your items in chronological order with items for each date on one line. For large claims, create a spreadsheet to help sort out your claim. Numbering your receipts often helps.
- If you have received a travel advance from Financial Services, enter it on the appropriate line. Travel advances or awards from other agencies are not included. Deduct the amount from your receipts and don't include them.
- SAVE EVERYTHING. We need ORIGINAL receipts. Original boarding passes must be submitted for flight reimbursement, along with the eticket or invoice noting method of payment. If you do not have your boarding passes, you must indicate that you do not have original receipts by unchecking the box. A few lines will appear for you to enter your reasons. Any expenditure over $10 must be supported by an original receipt.
- Conference Travel: When claiming reimbursement for conference travel, the claim must include the itinerary for the conference. A copy of front cover of the program is sufficient as long as it shows the dates, but you must note what meals were included with the conference fee. When meals are included in the cost of conference fees, no claim for meals may be made.
- Do not include items that you have already claimed elsewhere.
- Per diem meal allowances do not require receipts to be submitted. Meal allowances include gratuities (tips) and taxes. The rate below is in Canadian dollars for travel within Canada and in US funds for travel in the US:
Breakfast $10.00, Lunch $13.00, Dinner $27.00
In exceptional situations, claims may be made for actual expenses for meals which exceed the above allowances, provided the claim is supported by a full explanation and appropriate receipts (credit card slips are not sufficient documentation ‐ you must provide the restaurant invoice/receipt showing items ordered and taxes).
- GST and HST regulations are detailed on the Finance web site at the following link: http://www.queensu.ca/financialservices/forms.html.
- Travel claims must include the calculation of taxes. Both the actual taxes paid on receipts and the calculation from mileage, taxis and meal allowances are needed. The calculation is automatically done by the system when completed on‐line.
- Credit card slips or statements are not acceptable proof on their own (i.e. the original restaurant receipt or supplier invoice must also be included).
- Travel claims should be submitted within 15 days of completion of travel.
- All claims must be signed and approved before submission with the appropriate chartfield to charge.
- Make a copy of your receipts and claim form.