Please enable javascript to view this page in its intended format.

Queen's University

First Steps for non-Canadian Faculty Appointees   

  • Sign and return your letter of appointment promptly as per directions in the letter. 

  • When your signed offer letter is received, Queen's will apply for a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA, formerly LMO) from Service Canada/Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC).

  • Once a positive response from Service Canada is received (processing times fluctuate), Queen's will forward the LMIA documentation to you. The file number on the LMIA is required to apply for a work permit. The LMIA must be used by the expiry date noted on the document.

LMIA Exempt Categories:

  • Canada Research Chairs, Canada Excellence Research Chairs and Post-Doctoral Fellows do not require an LMIA. CRC/CERC appointees will receive a "National Letter of Confirmation" in place of the LMIA from the CRC Secretariat. 

  • Citizens of the U.S. and Mexico can enter Canada to work under NAFTA regulations on a temporary basis without first obtaining an LMIA, learn more here. A similar trade agreement covering university teachers exist between Canada and Chile, please see the International Mobility page of Citizenship and Immigration Canada. 

Important Note on Passport Validity Period:

Before you apply for the work permit, ensure your passport is valid for at least four years. Immigration officers will not issue a work permit that expires later than your passport or the end date in your offer letter.  Work permits are generally issued for four years, however, it is up to the processing border officer to determine  the number of years granted. 

     Question you may have   Where to find answers

    Am I eligible to apply for my work permit at the Canadian Border or do I have to apply at a Canadian Visa Post abroad?

    Click & Read:  Where to apply for your work permit

    Do I need a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) to enter Canada? Check the list of countries whose residents need a TRV to travel to Canada. 
    Where can I get help in my own language to ensure my application is complete? Visa Application Centresaccept and forward applications (note: they do NOT provide immigration advice or make decisions on your application)
    Do I need a medical before entering Canada? Click & Read: Medicalsfor Immigration to Canada
    Concern: Minor offences such as driving under the influence, shoplifting, possession of illegal substances, etc can result in refusal at the border. Click & Read:   Persons who are inadmissable to Canada
    Where can I find Work Permit Application Forms (Applications Abroad)? Located on the Citizenship and Immigration web site
    How much is the fee for a Work Permit? Check the fee schedule on the CIC web site
    Where can I find information about bringing my family to Canada, including information on how to apply for a work permit for a spouse/partner? Click & Read:   Bringing your family to Canada
    Is there a list of documentation to have ready for immigration officials at the border?
    Read: Crossing the border
    Are there special considerations for foreign-trained physicians? Read: Special note for non-Canadian, foreign trained physicians
    Contact us at: Monica(dot)Stewart(at)queensu(dot)ca, Queen's Faculty Recruitment and Support, Office of the Provost and Vice Principal (Academic), Queen's University, Richardson Hall, Suite 252, Room 218
    Kingston, Ontario, K7L 3N6
    Tel:613-533-3167 Fax:613-533-6263
    Last Modified: 2015-01-06 10:40:06

    Kingston, Ontario, Canada. K7L 3N6. 613.533.2000