Please enable javascript to view this page in its intended format.

Queen's University

Bringing Your Belongings to Canada

For information on your moving allowance and choosing a mover choose "Your Move & Relocation" from the tab menu above.

There are different sets of regulations for bringing your household goods, your car, or other belongings across the border if you are moving to Canada for the first time to make your permanent home, or if you are a returning resident of Canada. Use the table below to find the information that applies to you. It is important to read the information early to avoid surprises.

If you are….

You should read….

A resident or former resident of Canada who is returning after an absence of at least one year

Immigrating or Returning to Live in Canada published by the Canadian Border Services

Moving to Canada for the first time to make your permanent home or for temporary employment for more than three years

(you are called a "settler"!)

Canadian Border Services Information on Importing Goods for People Intending to Settle in Canada

Settlers’ Effects Tariff Item 9807

Complete these forms:

Personal Effects Accounting Document

List accounting for goods that you bring across the border with you and personal belongings list that will follow (for example, on a moving truck)

Speak to an Agent:

You can contact Border Services Information from 8-4, Mon-Fri and ask your questions of an agent. Within Canada: 1-800-461-9999. Outside Canada: 204-983-3500 or 506-636-5064. To bypass the automated menu press 0.

Note: A person’s status for customs purposes is not always the same as their status for immigration purposes.

For example, if your immigration status is "Permanent Resident" you are not eligible to claim free importation of goods under tariff item No. 9807.00.00 as a settler to Canada if you have previously lived in Canada on other than a temporary basis. Rather, Customs will class you as a former resident and you must import goods under the provisions of tariff item No. 9805.00.00. Refer to Memorandum D2-3-2, Former Residents of Canada, Tariff Item No. 9805.00.00

Contact us at: Monica(dot)Stewart(at)queensu(dot)ca, Queen's Faculty Recruitment and Support, Office of the Provost and Vice Principal (Academic), Queen's University, Richardson Hall, Suite 252, Room 218
Kingston, Ontario, K7L 3N6
Tel:613-533-3167 Fax:613-533-6263
Last Modified: 2015-01-06 11:27:24

Kingston, Ontario, Canada. K7L 3N6. 613.533.2000