Please enable javascript to view this page in its intended format.

Queen's University

Entering Canada to work under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA)

NAFTA allows certain professionals who are U.S. or Mexican citizens to obtain a work permit without first having to obtain a Labour Market Opinion (LMO). University professors, scientists and physicians are generally LMO exempt under NAFTA, Appendix 1603.D.1

Permanent Residents (Green Card holders) of the U.S. or persons with Permanent Resident status in Mexico are not covered under the NAFTA provisions.

Documentation required at the port of entry is described under "Crossing the Border".

The duration of the work permit issued is at the discretion of the border officer. Renewals can be obtained in Canada and must be applied for prior to the expiry of the existing work permit.

Contact us at: Monica(dot)Stewart(at)queensu(dot)ca, Queen's Faculty Recruitment and Support, Office of the Provost and Vice Principal (Academic), Queen's University, Richardson Hall, Suite 252, Room 218
Kingston, Ontario, K7L 3N6
Tel:613-533-3167 Fax:613-533-6263
Last Modified: 2014-04-09 11:35:16

Kingston, Ontario, Canada. K7L 3N6. 613.533.2000