Please enable javascript to view this page in its intended format.

Queen's University

Applying for Permanent Residence

Maintaining your immigration status in Canada is one of the conditions set out in your Letter of Appointment. If you do not have valid immigration status in Canada Queen's University cannot pay you. An application for Permanent Residence will ensure that you maintain valid status. If you do not apply for Permanent Resident status and have to renew your work permit you will need a new Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA). To obtain the LMIA, the position you are holding will have to be re-advertised to search for qualified Canadians or Permanent Residents. 

Applications for P.R. can be made through the Province of Ontario - Provincial Nominee Program (requires an initial application made by Queen's and subsequent applications by the nominee to the PNP and to Citizenship and Immigration; please contact the Faculty Recruitment and Support Program for further information) or through the Express Entry system of Citizenship and Immigration Canada. 

Please keep Queen's Human Resources and your Faculty and Departmental Office informed of changes in your immigration status.

As of January 1, 2015 applications for Permanent Residence under the federal immigration classes (Federal Skilled Worker Class, Canadian Experience Class) are channeled through a system called the Express Entry System. Through the Express Entry process you will find out which immigration class you will be eligible for. If you are eligible and have submitted a complete application under the Express Entry program processing will be completed within 6 months. 

To apply under the Express Entry System:

- Before starting, you must have completed an  approved language test. 

- You will need your job title, code and skill type. Find these on the Annex A of the LMIA document you received when you first applied for a work permit. Please contact the Faculty Recruitment and Support Program if you have questions about this.

- If you were educated outside of Canada, you may need to have your educational credentials assessed. 

Here are some frequently asked questions about Permanent Residence, and links to the CIC web site to help you find the answers.
How long will the application process take?
What are the fees?
Language Testing Requirements
Contact us at: Monica(dot)Stewart(at)queensu(dot)ca, Queen's Faculty Recruitment and Support, Office of the Provost and Vice Principal (Academic), Queen's University, Richardson Hall, Suite 252, Room 218
Kingston, Ontario, K7L 3N6
Tel:613-533-3167 Fax:613-533-6263
Last Modified: 2015-01-07 12:16:21

Kingston, Ontario, Canada. K7L 3N6. 613.533.2000