Please enable javascript to view this page in its intended format.

Queen's University

Maintaining Your Immigration Status While Waiting for Citizenship and Immigration Canada Decisions

To receive your salary from Queen's you must keep your immigration status and SIN up-to-date at all times and keep the Department of Human Resources and your faculty office informed of any change in your status.

Your Situation

Proof of Status

(click on links below to see samples of acceptable documents)

I applied for an extension before the expiry date of my work permit and received my new work permit.

New work permit and new SIN


the "Acknowledgement of application for a SIN" letter provided by the Service Canada office when you make your application

I applied for an extension before the expiry date of my work permit, but have not receiveda decision, and now my work permit and SIN have expired. I have Implied Status.


IMPORTANT: If you leaving Canada while under Implied Status this may result in your losing the Implied Status, which would mean that you may not be able to resume working at Queen's upon your return.

Online application printout from MyCIC or other notification from CIC showing your name


For mail-in applications, a courier receipt showing a delivery to the CIC Case Processing Centre in Vegreville, Alberta


All above must be dated prior to expiry of w/p.


As soon as the work permit has arrived, apply for a new SIN. 

You must also re-apply for OHIP when your work permit is renewed!

Contact us at: Monica(dot)Stewart(at)queensu(dot)ca, Queen's Faculty Recruitment and Support, Office of the Provost and Vice Principal (Academic), Queen's University, Richardson Hall, Suite 252, Room 218
Kingston, Ontario, K7L 3N6
Tel:613-533-3167 Fax:613-533-6263
Last Modified: 2014-10-29 09:25:19

Kingston, Ontario, Canada. K7L 3N6. 613.533.2000