Please enable javascript to view this page in its intended format.

Queen's University

Driver's Licence and Vehicle Registration

New Residents:

If you are a new resident in Ontario and have a valid driver's licence from another province, state or country, you can use it for up to 60 days after you move to Ontario. If you want to keep driving in Ontario, you must get an Ontario driver's licence. New Ontario residents have 30 days before they have to register their vehicles and get Ontario licence plates and a vehicle permit. If you plan to buy a vehicle, you will need proof of insurance. To get insurance, you usually need an Ontario driver's license.

For more information on getting an Ontario Driver's Licence and licensing a vehicle in Ontario visit the Ontario Ministry of Transportation.

For information on permanently importing your vehicle to Canada, visit the Registrar of Imported Vehicles. For more information on importing personal belongings, visit the "bringing your belongings to Canada" section of this site.


If you are a visitor to Ontario and want to drive while you are here, you must be at least 16 years old and have a valid driver's licence from your own province, state or country. If you are visiting Ontario for more than three months, you need an International Driver's Permit from your own country or you may have to apply for an Ontario driver's licence, depending on your length of stay. You should also ensure your automobile insurance coverage is sufficient.

Driver's License and Vehicle Registration Information

Information Links:

Official Road Map of Ontario

Winter Road Conditions Report

Distance Calculator (Ontario)

Contact us at: Monica(dot)Stewart(at)queensu(dot)ca, Queen's Faculty Recruitment and Support, Office of the Provost and Vice Principal (Academic), Queen's University, Richardson Hall, Suite 252, Room 218
Kingston, Ontario, K7L 3N6
Tel:613-533-3167 Fax:613-533-6263
Last Modified: 2011-11-16 15:15:23

Kingston, Ontario, Canada. K7L 3N6. 613.533.2000