Please enable javascript to view this page in its intended format.

Queen's University

Choosing a school for your children & registration requirements

Ontario's school system is explained in the Newcomer's Guide to Education in Ontario.

Parents who arrive in Canada on a work permit : ensure that your children are listed as dependents on the work permit of the parent who has legal guardianship. If you cannot provide this documentation you may be assessed international school fees when you enroll your children.

Registering your children at school: Before the first day of school, your child must be registered with the correct documentation (proof of immigration status, birth certificate or passport, proof of address and immunization records).

School visits and information about enrichment activities: Call ahead to arrange a visit to a prospective school to see if the school's community and programs are a good fit. If your children enjoy sports or music, ask what the school offers. Kingston also offers a wealth of enrichment programs run by community based organizations. More on enrichment activities here....

Home Schooling:There are many resources available for teaching your children at home.

Special Education: Kingston's school system has a variety of resources for children who need support due to physical, emotional, intellectual or other special needs.

After School Care: If your children will need after school care, consider this when you choose a school. Many, but not all, Kingston schools offer a program.

Provincial testing results for each school are listed on the web site of the Education Quality and Accountability Office. To use this tool, you will need the name of the school you are interested in. Standardized testing takes place annually in grades 3 and 6 (elementary schools) and grade 9 (high schools). For more information, go to the Education Quality Indicators Framework. Private schools are not subject to Provincial testing. 

School Boundaries: Public school boards assign each address to a home school district, and students living in the home school district have priority.  School boards have slightly different policies on allowing students from outside the home school district to attend, visit the page on school boards for contact information.   

School Locatordetermine which addresses are served by each school in the Limestone School Board with this tool.

Some schools frequently attended by children whose parents work at Queen's:

 Area  Elementary Schools:   Secondary Schools: 
 West  R.G. Sinclair , James R. Henderson,  Lancaster Drive Frontenac Secondary (French Immersion Grade 7/8 at Module d'Acadie)
 Central  Winston Churchill, Rideau Public

Loyalist Collegiate & Vocational Institute (LCVI) (LEAP - Limestone Education through the Arts Program - Gr 9+)

Kingston Collegiate & Vocational Institute (KCVI) (IB Program, French Immersion Grade 7/8 at Module Vanier)

For boundary information in other boards serving the Kingston area, please contact the school board offices.

How can I enroll my child in French Immersion?

Both the Limestone District School Board and the Algonquin Lakeshore Catholic District School Board offer French Immersion programs in designated schools. Your child will generally be admitted to a program in the school designated for French Immersion for your residential area upon your request. It is helpful, but not mandatory, to register early (registration usually occurs in February for the following September). Contact the school board of your choice for registration information.

Contact us at: Monica(dot)Stewart(at)queensu(dot)ca, Queen's Faculty Recruitment and Support, Office of the Provost and Vice Principal (Academic), Queen's University, Richardson Hall, Suite 252, Room 218
Kingston, Ontario, K7L 3N6
Tel:613-533-3167 Fax:613-533-6263
Last Modified: 2014-03-28 14:41:42

Kingston, Ontario, Canada. K7L 3N6. 613.533.2000