Queen’s Research Accounting (RA) supports the research environment at Queen’s by providing expert advice, financial accountability and management of all research funds. The department works closely with funding agencies, researchers, administrative support, Strategic Procurement Services, University Research Services (URS) to ensure adherence to funding guidelines and policies.
RA manages the post-award functions for all research grants and contracts at the University. This includes monitoring cash flows and expenditures, communicating with funding agencies and financial reporting. RA also provides support in the preparation of year-end financial statements as research is a significant contributor to the results of operations for Queen’s University.
Some of the core responsibilities of RA include the following:
- Providing training, leadership and guidance to the research community on the eligibility of expenses and financial processes
- Establishing and administering projects in the University’s financial system for research grants and contracts
- Post-award monitoring, including monitoring deficits, expense eligibility and authorization
- Acting as a key liaison with funding agencies around financial matters, including during audits or monitoring visits
- Supporting all financial regulatory reporting requirements related to research projects
- Producing management reports to support internal cost allocations, year-end reporting, and research partners (i.e. hospitals, etc.)