Please enable javascript to view this page in its intended format.

Queen's University

Policy on Paying Travel Agents Using a Research Grant

In an effort to ensure compliance with research funding agency guidelines and university policy, this communication is to advise you of the existing policy for paying travel agents directly using a research grant.  Please refer to the procedure on  How to Pay Travel Agents for details. 

For travel expenditures charged to research projects, researchers must either pay for the travel expenditures directly and then file a reimbursement, or obtain a travel advance to cover the costs of travel and then file a travel claim accounting for the advance.

Please note that original receipts and tickets must be attached to all claims.

In the rare case that the travel agent invoices directly, this will only be acceptable if the researcher’s department has an agreement in place with Research Accounting (Office of the Controller).  As part of this agreement, the department is responsible for keeping all travel related documentation (i.e. boarding passes) on site once travel is completed, and must be able to produce this documentation for audit purposes, whenever requested.

A template is available to you in the abovementioned policy, which can be used to initiate the agreement.  The agreement must be completed, signed by the respective Department Head and forwarded to  Julia Hodgson in Research Accounting at:

Julia Hodgson
Research Accounting
Office of the Controller
207 Stuart St., Rideau Building

Payments made directly to travel agents using a research project cannot be processed until an agreement has been received by our office.

Thank you for your support.

Kind Regards,

Research Accounting

Kingston, Ontario, Canada. K7L 3N6. 613.533.2000