USEFUL TIPS FOR TRI-COUNCIL GRANTS
When charging the costs of travel to attend a research conference to a grant funded by one of the Tri-Council agencies (NSERC, SSHRC and CIHR), you must ensure you attach a copy of the conference itinerary to the travel claim.
In addition, the Tri-agencies require the following details to be indicated on the related travel claim:
- The name and location of the conference.
- The dates you attended the conference.
- A description of the conference and how it relates to your research project.
- The affiliation of the traveller to the Principal Investigator (if traveller is not the Principal Investigator).
Some other important reminders regarding conference travel are:
- When meals are included in the cost of the conference fees, an additional claim for these meals should not be made.
- Conference registration fees should be reimbursed with all relevant travel expenses on the same travel claim and not through a separate cheque requisition when conference fees are paid by the claimant.
- A travel advance may be issued if payment of fees is required in advance of travel.