Communications Task Force Preliminary Report
The Task Force reviewed the purpose of internal communications, their current status, best practices and challenges.
Effective and efficient communications ensure that students, faculty and staff understand the University’s mission, objectives and values. They enhance a sense of community, ensure consistent messaging and support organizational change to advance strategic priorities and encourage more efficient use of resources.
Best communications practices should:
- Reinforce a culture of openness (while recognizing confidentiality and public sensitivity);
- Close internal communications gaps;
- Reward innovative thinking and creativity;
- Be proactive;
- Be a primary part of all strategic planning and project implementation;
- Reinforce a commitment to the Queen’s community and stakeholders;
- Support the University’s unique environment, history, tradition and reputation for quality;
- Recognize the importance of consultation and feedback; and
- Identify the appropriate spokespeople for emerging issues.
University communications should be:
- Accessible; and
The Task Force suggested that senior administration champion communications, while also noting that students, faculty and staff are Queen’s most effective communicators.
To enhance its communications culture, the Task Force recommends that Queen’s:
- Review and enhance Queen’s communications protocol
- Clarify roles and responsibilities with existing leadership and management
- Enhance the Principal’s communications program
- Co-ordinate services and processes to promote consistency
- Strengthen the web content management system and digital information network systems and usage
Staff surveys, internal audits, management and employee feedback, performance appraisals and an annual review by senior administration should measure, evaluate and review new communications strategies and protocols.
- Conduct a benchmark study of other Ontario University communications practices
- Develop a best practices model for Queen’s
- Complete a full report that includes implementation plans, time frames and deliverables