Facilities & Services
Technical Staff Contact List
The Department is well-equipped for research with standard research tools expected in an Earth Science department, but also hi-tech and specialized research equipment available, as summarized below.
40Ar/39Ar Geochronology Lab
(Dr Jim Lee, Dr John Hanes, Dr Doug Archibald)
- Age-dating facilities based on the Argon-Argon dating method.
- Age Range: 100,000 years and older
- Suitable material: Hornblende, micas, and feldspars commonly are used, and some volcanic rocks and slates are suitable for analysis as whole rocks..
- Laser microprobe: one MAP 216 mass spectrometer, on-line computer data collection and analysis, and an ultra-high vacuum argon extraction system using either a LEXEL 3500 argon laser or a NEW WAVE 30W CO2 laser with a facetted lens or a resistance furnace for the heating of sample.
Computational Geomechanics Lab
(Dr. Mark Diederichs, Dr. Jean Hutchinson)
- Mutliple multi-core workstation laboratory with state-of-the-art geomechanical, geotechnical and geoenvironmental software including RocScience (PHASE2,DIPS,EXAMINE3D,SLIDE,SETTLE3D,etc), Itasca (FLAC2D, FLAC3D, UDEC, 3DEC, PFC, PFC3D), Plaxis, ModFlow, ArcGIS, Rockware, CAD
- Full waveform micro-seismic system for acoustic measurement for rock testing
- Access to shared state-of-the-art rock testing facilities
Geomechanics Imaging Lab
(Dr. Jean Hutchinson, Dr. Mark Diederichs)
- LEICA HDS6000 (ultra high speed, high res, phase-based) Lidar imaging system
- Optech ILRIS3D Long-Range (time-of-flight) Lidar system
- Polyworks, Cyclone, Split-FX, Vulcan Software and high-performance workstations
X-ray Diffraction and Clay Mineral Lab
(Dr Ron Peterson)
- Separation of clay minerals
- Stoe Debye-Scherrer powder diffractometer
- Enraf-Nonius CAD4 Diffractometer
- Gandolphi, Guinier, and Debye-Scherrer powder cameras
- Precession Camera
Networked Computing Facilities
- Earth Systems Information Laboratory which is well equipped with geological software including ER Mapper, ESRI (Arc/view), and GOCAD++ three-dimensional geological visualization packages.
- Image processing and print production facilities (600 dpi postscript laser printer, LFR personal slide maker, and hi-res scanner).
- TCP/IP Networked Pentium and Workstation-class computers
- Internet access
- In-house facilities for making thin-sections, polished thin-sections, and microprobe mounts
- Slabbing saws, trim saws, and polishing equipment
- Rock crushing equipment
back to top