Geological Science and Engineering

Queen's University
Search Type
Geological Sciences and Geological Engineering
Geological Sciences and Geological Engineering


I'm a full-time graduate student but I need to change to be a part-time student. How do I make this change?
You should first talk to your supervisor and the Graduate Assistant in your graduate program. A formal recommendation, as a letter, is needed by the School of Graduate Studies from your program that details your academic program and progress to date. This recommendation should be provided to the Director of Admissions and Student Services in the School of Graduate Studies by, calling the School at 613-533-6100 (internally, extension 36100) or dropping the letter off at the School on the fourth floor of Gordon Hall, 74 Union Street.
I need to take maternity or paternity leave. What do I do?
You can change your registration status to "inactive" for up to two terms. Keep in mind that both parents are entitled to parental leave and mothers are entitled to a maternity leave. Leaves are usually taken during the first year of the child's life. A fee waiver for the period of the leave is granted through the School of Graduate Studies. Your eligibility for financial support through the School will be extended by the period of time taken for the leave. Please check with any outside funding agency that may be providing you with awards for any regulations the agency may have regarding leaves. Please complete a Change in Status form (PDF*, 56 KB) and provide the completed form to the Director, Admissions and Student Services by email to, or drop it off at the School on the fourth floor of Gordon Hall, 74 Union Street.
I'm hoping to get some financial support to present a paper at a conference. Where can I turn for financial help to attend?
Talk to your supervisor or the Graduate Assistant in your graduate program. Each graduate program receives funding from the School of Graduate Studies to assist students who need to travel to present a paper at a conference. Graduate programs also provide funding in some cases. Presenting conference papers is an important part of graduate studies and is encouraged whenever possible.
I need to improve my presentation skills. Is there help at Queen's?
Yes, you can find support and assistance through academic support services at Queen's. The Learning Strategies part of the Student Academic Success Services Department in particular offers workshops and support for graduate students.
I am having a hard time writing my thesis or dissertation. What resources can I turn to for assistance and support?
Contact the Writing Centre, also part of the Student Academic Success Services Department. Help is available, for example, through a Thesis Support Group run by Learning Strategies Development.
Where do I turn if I have a problem with my supervisor?
First, resolution of an issue should initially be sought through informal departmental channels. Find out your graduate program's departmental procedures on dealing with issues or problems. A discussion of the problem should occur first between you and your supervisor or supervisory committee. If the issue cannot be resolved there, you should consult the Graduate Coordinator and/or the Department Head to seek possible resolution. If a satisfactory resolution is not reached, assistance can be requested of the Associate Dean(s) of the School of Graduate Studies. In consultation with the student, the Dean may elect to appoint an advisory committee to help resolve the issue. All consultations in the Departmental and School of Graduate Studies are kept confidential and no direct action should be taken without the prior consent of the student. Resolution of the issue can also be sought through the University’s Grievance Procedures, which include informal, administrative and formal channels. The Queen’s Senate Statement on Grievance, Discipline and Related Matters and the University’s Grievance and Appeal Procedures document should be consulted. Note that, unless warranted by unusual circumstances, no interruptions to a student's academic program may be put into effect until all channels of appeal or grievance have been exhausted, or the time for appeal has been allowed to lapse. Students may also seek the advice and counsel from the SGPS Advisors. For more details on each of the advisors go to the SGPS website at or email them on
Useful Links
SGS School of Graduate Studies
SGPS (Graduate Student Society)
Queen’s University International Centre


For general questions about graduate studies, see the School of Graduate Studies FAQ's