Most people can handle some level of personal stress. However, there are times in people's lives when the stress demands more energy and resources than they feel they have available. Sometimes, when dealing with sensitive personal problems, people find that talking to an impartial person helps them gain a better perspective than talking to a friend or relative.
Some reasons why people seek counselling:
- Abuse and assault issues;
- Academic engagement or direction;
- Substance use;
- Anxiety and mood problems(e.g. depression, suicidal thoughts);
- Coping with grief or loss;
- Relationships (family, romantic, platonic);
- Eating/body image difficulties;
- Self-confidence and self-esteem;
- Sexuality and sexual orientation;
- Transition to university;
- Social functioning;
- Dealing with racism.