Commercialization and Regulation
Description: This module covers basic vocabulary and key issues of commercialization practice, including medical device regulation.
Instructional Goal: To develop an understanding of basic vocabulary and key issues of commercialization and medical device regulation practices.
- Use basic vocabulary related to commercialization practice.
- Describe the key issues related to commercialization practice and medical product development.
- Identify models for university-industry interactions for research and product development.
- Identify strategies for evaluating and protecting intellectual property.
- Identify the key steps in medical product development.
- Discuss medical device regulation practices.
- Describe the role of research in product development.
- Discuss strategies for licensing, creating and managing new ventures; attracting research support for projects with downstream potential; and managing an early-stage venture fund.
- Differentiate among business models for commercialization.
- Identify strategies for developing and strengthening partnerships with private and public sectors to conduct practical, leading-edge research.
- Select product development methods related to one's research field.
Queen's NSERC Chair in Engineering Design
Queen's Centre for Business Venturing
Canadian Intellectual Property Office (CIPO)
- Classroom sessions
- Review and analysis of commercialization case studies
- Analysis of patent applications