Human Resources

Human Resources

Human Resources

site header

Symptoms and Response

Queen’s Human Resources is ready to support our employees and promote good health and wellness during uncertain times. We are dedicated to providing resources that will help us transition how we work, and ways to keep us connected and mutually supportive.

Please familiarize yourself with the symptoms of coronavirus COVID-19.

Details about how to respond should you or someone around you exhibit symptoms, can be found on Queen’s University’s central COVID-19 information website.

Should an employee, colleague, or student disclose they have tested positive for COVID-19:

  • Public Health Authorities will have been aware of positive COVID-19 test results
  • Public Health Authorities will contact those of concern
    KFL&A Public Health performs contact tracing to identify close contacts of a confirmed case. If you have been identified as a close contact of a confirmed case you will be contacted by KFL&A Pubic Health for further instruction.  If you are concerned that you or someone you know might have come in contact with a positive case and have not heard from KFL&A Public Health, monitor for possible symptoms using the online assessment tool.
  • Respect Privacy
    Personal health information is protected by provincial legislation. You should not communicate any information about an individual and their health – including basic information that could lead to them being identified. This includes noting if they are a student, staff or faculty member. It is understandable there is a heightened concern regarding COVID-19, but communicating a workplace absence due to illness, or the illness of a family member, could amount to a breach under privacy laws.
  • Seek more guidance if required
    Further queries can be sent to and they will be directed to the appropriate responder (do not include personal health information of others).

To ensure personal privacy and in particular, personal health information privacy, you should not communicate that an employee, colleague or student is currently in self-isolation due to someone in their household testing positive for COVID-19.  It is understandable there is a heightened concern regarding COVID-19, but communicating a workplace or other absence due to illness, and more specifically the illness of a family member, could amount to a breach under privacy laws.

Self-isolation or quarantine

If you think you have COVID-19 symptoms, have been in close contact with someone who has, or have traveled/returned to Canada from abroad, Canadian officials require that you self-isolate and contact public health authorities for further advice.

Should you be required to self-isolate or if you are quarantined, follow the following steps:

Sick leave due to self-isolation or quarantine

In circumstances where you are unable to make alternate work arrangements as a result of being required to self-isolate or if you are quarantined, you will qualify for sick time if you are entitled to sick leave under the University Sick Leave Plan.

At this time, employees who have entitlement to paid sick leaves will continue to receive their regular pay (you will not be required to use vacation or lieu time).

If you are unsure whether you qualify for paid sick leaves, please contact your Human Resources Advisor.

Employees who do not have entitlement to paid sick leaves may be eligible for employment insurance benefits. Please contact Service Canada for further information regarding employment insurance benefits.

Employees are not required to provide a doctor’s note to establish entitlement to paid sick leave benefits as a result of self-isolation or quarantine.

After completion of the required self-isolation or quarantine period, contact your manager or designate to discuss next steps.

Travel Information

Self-isolation: As of March 25, 2020, all individuals who are returning from any travel outside of Canada are to self-isolate for 14 days, in accordance with the federal government's Quarantine Act and to monitor for symptoms of COVID-19.  This recommendation is retroactive for any individuals that have returned from travel outside of Canada.

If you are currently out of the country and unable to return due to travel restrictions, notify your manager. If you are able to perform your work remotely, you are encouraged to do so. Your manager will ask for further information and provide additional instruction.

Coverage under Extended Health plan: If you must travel out of the country, or are currently traveling, and you have coverage under the Queen’s Manulife Extended Health Plan, medical claims related to COVID-19 are covered by the insurer.

If you are unsure whether you have Extended Health coverage as part of the Queen’s Benefits Plan, contact your Human Resources Advisor.

If you have a medical emergency: If you are covered by Queen’s Manulife Extended Health plan and have a medical emergency while outside of Canada, use the phone number below that corresponds with your current location.

  • Canada or United States: 1-800-265-9977
  • Mexico: 00-1-800-514-3702
  • Dominican Republic: 1-888-751-4403
  • International: Country Code + 800-9221-9221
  • If you can’t get through using the international toll-free number, call the Canada/U.S. number or call 519-741-8450 collect.

Please have your Queen’s Policy Number (120156) and Member Certificate Number (your employee number without the leading zeros where applicable, found on the front of your employee ID card or benefits card) ready. Your Benefit Plan Member Card can we downloaded from the Manulife Secure website.

If you do not know your employee number, contact your Human Resources Advisor.