Human Resources

Human Resources

Human Resources

site header

Photo ID Cards

An Employee Photo ID Card is issued to every eligible employee when they are first hired at Queen's University. Keep this card for the duration of your employment with Queen’s. Employee Photo ID cards should be used only by the owner of the card.

Eligibility for Employee Photo ID cards

  1. Am I eligible for an Employee Photo ID card?
    The following employee groups are entitled to an Employee Photo ID card:
    • Academic Assistants
    • Academic Related
    • CUPE Members – Locals 229, 254 & 1302
    • Faculty
    • General Staff including USW Local 2010 members, Non-USW members, ONA & OPSEU
    • Librarians and Archivists
    • Post-doctoral Fellows
    • Research Staff
    • Senior Executives
  2. Which groups are not eligible for an Employee Photo ID card?
    Cards are not issued to:
    • Affiliates
    • Casual Staff
    • Guests, visitors and volunteers
    • Retirees
    • Individuals who are issued a Queen's University student card

    If you have questions regarding eligibility for an Employee Photo ID card, please contact

  3. What should I do with my Employee Photo ID card when I terminate or retire from the University?
    Return the card to your Manager on or before your last day of work. Employee cards are considered University property.

Getting an Employee Photo ID Card

  1. I am an existing employee, how do I get an Employee Photo ID card?
    Contact HR at or ext. 32070 to set up an appointment. During your 15 minute appointment, your photo will be taken and your card will be issued. Bring a government issued photo ID with you to verify your identity.
  2. I am a new employee, how do I get an Employee Photo ID card?
    New employees are issued an Employee Photo ID card when they complete benefit documentation forms at time of hire. A government issued photo ID is required to verify your identity.
  3. I had my photo taken but have not received my new Employee Photo ID card.
    Contact HR at or ext. 32070 to confirm when your card is available for pick up. Cards may be picked up at HR in Fleming Hall (Stewart-Pollock wing) between 8:30 am – 4:30 pm, Monday to Friday. Employee Photo ID cards must be picked up by the owner of the card. A government issued photo ID is required for pick up to verify your identity.
  4. Why do I need to show a government issued photo ID?
    This is to verify your ID. The new Queen’s employee card provides ID much like a drivers licence or health card would – cards must be in the right person’s possession.

Using your Employee Photo ID card

  1. What is my Employee Photo ID Card used for?
    Employee purchases: The magstripe (magnetic stripe) on the back of the employee card can used to purchase items at various campus Food Services facilities.

    University libraries: The bar code on the front of the employee card is used for Library Services.

    Security access: The employee card is equipped with access control entry capabilities, however not all systems on campus are compatible with this technology. Please contact your Faculty/Department IT Representative to see if your building/department’s system is compatible.

    Queen’s Athletic and Recreation Centre (ARC): The card is used as the ARC membership card.

Reloading your Employee Photo ID card

  1. How do I load Food Services dollars on my Employee Photo ID card?
    To add money to your card, please visit Queen's Hospitality Services Staff Card Top-up page for instructions.

    If you have problems adding money on your card, contact Food Services directly for assistance at or phone: 613-533-2953.

  2. I have a student card and an Employee Photo ID card, will both cards work?
    Only your most recently issued card will work for food services and any monies loaded on your previous card will automatically be transferred to your new card. Please contact Food Services at or phone: 613-533-2953 if you have any questions.

Lost or damaged Employee Photo ID cards

  1. What should I do if I lose my Employee Photo ID card? IMMEDIATELY contact:
    • HR or x. 32070; and
    • Your ITS Rep if your card is used as a security access control card.
  2. What is the cost of replacing and Employee Photo ID card?
    There is a $20 replacement fee for this service, payable by debit, VISA or MasterCard.
  3. What if I find my old card?
    Once your employee card is reported missing, your old card is deactivated and a new card issued. Return the old card to HR.
  4. What if my card is damaged?
    If your card is damaged, please contact HR to have your card replaced. The damaged card must be returned in exchange for the new card.
  5. Where should I return a found Employee Photo ID card?
    Please return found cards to Fleming Hall (Stewart-Pollock wing), HR, 1st Floor. Office hours are Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm.