Please enable javascript to view this page in its intended format.

Queen's University

Time & Labour FAQs

Q1: Where can I find a list of Time Reporting Codes (TRC's) and the type of time they should be used for?
A: Click on the link for a complete list of TRC's including definitions and eligible employee groups.

Q2. What is the difference between a positive-time reporter and an exception time-reporter?
A: A positive time reporter is an employee who must have hours reported to get paid (i.e. Casual.) An exception time reporter is an employee who only reports time when there is an exception (i.e. sick, vacation) to their normal schedule (i.e. Research).

Q3. As a Timekeeper for my department, will I be able to see employee vacation and over time balances?
A: Yes, employee balances can be viewed on the employee's timesheet in PeopleSoft. The balances are displayed in hours. Overtime balances are updated nightly whereas vacation is updated monthly after payroll has run.

Q4: How far in advance can I enter time data?
A: The "Grace Period' for future time is set to 31 days. 

Q5. What do I do if I enter time for an employee incorrectly?
A: Return to the employee's timesheet and correct the entry. If the entry is corrected prior to the payroll cutoff, the employee records will be updated correctly. If the entry is corrected after payroll cutoff and the correction will impact an employee's pay, please contact your HR Advisor. If the entry will not impact an employee's pay, the employee's records will be updated on the next regular payday.

Q6: How far back can I correct time data?
A: The "Grace Period' for past time is set to 90 days. You will have access to the entire pay period that the 90th day falls in. If you need to correct time beyond this grace period, please contact your HR Advisor.

Q7: Who will sign the timesheet if the department head is not available?
A: A designate can sign-off on the timesheet as long as he/she has been given this responsibility from the Department Head.

Q8: What is considered overtime?
A: Please visit the Queen's University Human Resources site and refer to the applicable policy or collective agreement. If you have questions regarding the policy or collective agreement as it pertains to overtime, please contact your HR Advisor.

Q9: Do I need to report hours each pay period?
A: You must report hours each pay period if a positive-time reporter (i.e. Casual) works within the period. As an employer, we are obligated to pay all wages earned during each pay period, no later than the pay day for that period. You must also report time each pay period if an exception-time reporter has an exception to their normal schedule.

Q10: If I am a timekeeper, can I view or enter my own hours in Time & Labour?
A: No, a timekeeper cannot enter hours for themselves or view their own time. Each department has a back-up timekeeper for this reason.

Q11. How do I charge an employee's hours to a different account code?
A: To learn how to modify an employee's account on their timesheet, please refer to the Module 5 - Modify Timesheet Account of the Report Time 1 Training Slides for step by step instructions. 

Q12: Will departments be required to use the PeopleSoft timesheet or can they continue to use departmental timesheets?
A: Departments can use their own timesheets provided all the necessary information has been included.

Q13: Will Statutory Pay be automatically generated for Casual Employees in Time & Labour?
A: Yes, Statutory pay will be generated for all casual employees based on the eligibility and calculation in accordance with Ontario's Employment Standards Act 2000.

Q14: How do I process statutory holiday pay for part time employees?
A: Please refer to the Statutory Holiday Payment Rules document for details on processing statutory holiday payments for part-time employees and other special scenarios. 

Return to Human Resources PeopleSoft FAQs

Queen's Human Resources
Fleming Hall, Stewart-Pollock Wing
Kingston, Ontario, Canada. K7L 3N6.
T: 613.533.2070 | F: 613.533.6196