Tuition Support Plan - Additional Information
- My son/daughter turns 25 in the middle of the term. What is the cut-off date for applications?
If your dependant turns 25 after August 31st, you are eligible to apply for the Tuition Support Plan for the current academic year.
- If both parents are employees of Queen's can both employees apply for same dependant?
No, only one claim per dependant child/spouse will be reimbursed by the University.
- How many dependants can I apply for?
Unlimited, based on age restrictions for the Tuition Support Plan for the employee group you are covered under.
- I have a joint appointment at Queen's, how do I determine the best tuition support plan for me?
Contact Human Resources.
- I am a Queen's employee taking a course at Queen's, am I eligible for the Tuition Support Plan?
No, the Tuition Support Plan is available only to spouses, partners and children of Queen's employees. Please see the Tuition Assistance Program for information about assistance available to Queen's employees taking courses. If you have any further questions please contact the Learning and Development Specialist.
- My dependant/spouse/partner is a student at Queen's, do I still need to provide their Social Insurance Number on the tuition support application?
- Why do I need to provide the student's Social Insurance Number?
Queen's is required to report tuition support payments to the Canada Revenue Agency and provide the student with a T4A form, which requires the student's Social Insurance Number. The SIN number is mandatory to administer the tuition plan, as such is required for the student to take advantage of tuition support.
- Why do I need to provide the student's Canadian mailing address?
This is where the T4A will be mailed to the student who received the payment.
- I was trying to apply online and I received the following message "Your NetID and or Password were not found. Please try again."
Your NetID is usually your email account user ID and corresponding password. Please check your NetID and password to see if they were entered correctly. If they were, contact your Departmental Computing Representative for further assistance. Click here for more information about your NetID.
- I tried to apply online but I received the following message "You are outside the availability window."
Please refer to the Terms and Conditions for your specific employee group to determine your application period. Please note GFT appointments only apply during the winter application period for the full term.
- I tried to apply online but I received the following message "You are not eligible for this benefit. If you require assistance, please contact the Tuition Support Administrator in the Human Resources Department at firstname.lastname@example.org"
Please refer to the Terms and Conditions for your specific employee group to determine your eligibility. If you fit the eligibility criteria specified for your employee group but the system will not allow you to create an application, please contact Human Resources.
- I have submitted the Confirmation of Registration form. What happens now?
Once your application has been submitted, the Student Awards Office will determine your eligibility. You will be notified by email when your application has been processed. Notifications are sent out to both applicants that are approved and applicants that are declined.
- Do I have to fill out another application for the winter term?
Yes, you will have to apply online for the winter term. Please refer to the Terms and Conditions for your specific employee group to determine your application period. Please note GFT appointments only apply during the winter application period for the full term.
- When can I apply for next term?
Notices will be posted on the Human Resources web site as to when the online system is available; please check the Terms and Conditions for your specific employee group to determine the deadline date for applying for each term.
- How do I submit a tuition reimbursement request for spring and summer courses?
Only eligible employee groups can apply for the spring/summer term. Please refer to yourterms and conditions for more information and to determine your eligibility. If eligible, please contact email@example.com to obtain a manual application.
- I have missed the deadline to apply for the tuition support benefit. Is there any way I can still submit an application?
Only applications that have been submitted by the deadline date will be accepted. The various employee groups have different plan deadlines, please check the Tuition Supportpage to determine your plan's deadline. If there are extenuating circumstances as to why you have missed the deadline, please complete an appeal form.
- Can the Confirmation of Registration form be faxed or scanned and emailed to the University/College for their authorization?
Yes. However, because the student is required to sign the form for authorization purposes, please ensure the University/College will accept a faxed copy.
- Can the completed Confirmation of Registration form be faxed or scanned and emailed to the Student Awards Office in the Office of the University Registrar at Queen's after the university/college has authorized it?
Yes, provided the official seal is legible (if the official seal is embossed, colour it in with pencil prior to faxing or scanning), but always follow with the original by mail.
- How will the student be paid?
Students will be paid by direct deposit to their Canadian bank account. The student will be sent an e-mail confirmation that the payment has been deposited.
- When will my dependant or spouse/partner receive payment?
Generally, payment under this plan will be made by the end of the academic term for which the application was submitted. This is not guaranteed as there are a number of factors that can influence payment of the benefit.
- Will tax be withheld on the payment from the Tuition Support Plan?
Tax will not be withheld. The payment remains taxable, but as income to the student. Remittance of any income tax owing on the Plan payment will be entirely the student's responsibility. The student will be sent a T4A Statement of Income.
- Will my dependant or spouse/partner receive the payment by cheque or direct deposit?
The payment will be made by direct deposit.