QIC Summer Initiative
- Benefits of the Program
- Background and Expectations
- Stipend and Seed Funding
- Preparing for QICSI
- Timeline of the Program
QICSI 2017 applications are now open! The deadline to apply is November 9th 2016 at midnight.
The Queen’s Innovation Connector Summer Initiative (QICSI, formerly QSII) offers the valuable opportunity to start your own business while being paid and receiving seed funding. QICSI is a 17-week paid summer internship for enterprising Queen’s students with a capacity for creativity, a tolerance for risk and an interest in entrepreneurship, corporate or social innovation. You will have the opportunity to work in a diverse team with bright individuals from across different programs. Coming into the program, you may already have an idea, but it is not necessary. QICSI is for students from all programs at Queen's.
The purpose of QICSI is not only to create companies for the summer; many companies born in QICSI continue to operate to this day. Read about the success of QICSI-born ventures under News and Events.
QICSI is a unique opportunity to develop your skills and tolerance for risk in engaging in new ventures or corporate innovation. You’ll have the chance to pool your knowledge and skills alongside students from other Queen’s faculties and schools. As part of the Queen’s Innovation Connector, QICSI will also provide:
- Each student receives $7,000 as a cost of living stipend
- Each team receives $4,000 in seed funding
- Teams have a chance to win up to $30,000 to help grow their business in the pitch competition at the end of the program.
- QIC does not take any equity in your business
Training and Mentorship:
- Guest speakers throughout the summer covering various topics relevant to your venture
- Mentors for your venture
- A bootcamp startup weekend at the Donald Gordon Conference centre, including accommodations and meals
- Two weeks of workshops, lectures and training during the QICSI bootcamp in the first two weeks of the program
Access to Office Space and State-of-the-Art Prototyping/Design Studio :
- Office space for your team to work in the Beamish Munro Hall (BMH) group rooms
- Access to BMH313, a large flat floor room with reconfigurable desks, extensive white boards and a projector
- Access to Wi-Fi, a printer, and teleconference facilities
- Physical prototyping and design facilities in SparQ Studios
Freedom to Pursue any Venture of Your Choice:
- There are no limitations on the type of venture you can pursue (provided it is legal). QICSI has the facilities and resources to support any venture, from a physical product-based venture (see SparQ Studios) to a social innovation.
- Application deadline: Wednesday, November 9th, 2016 at midnight
- Notification of interviews: Week of November 14th, 2016
- Interviews: Thursday, November 24th, 2016
The interview is a group interview, conducted by a panel.
We encourage you to take advantage of the many opportunities at Queen's and in our region to develop your entrepreneurial mindset:
- Attend a conference or competition on entrepreneurship and innovation...
- Join the Innovate Queen's club...
- Create something at SparQ Studios...
- Meet people and explore resources in our region's innovation ecosystem...
- Read! Check out the QIC Reading List...
- Work to continuously improve your ability to work on a team
- Start something!
Learn more about the timeline of the program.
Ventures who graduate from QICSI are eligible for next level support through QIC Acceleration, a program designed to continue to support the venture, with resources such as free space at Innovation Park. QIC Acceleration...
Questions about QICSI?: Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
A Selection of QICSI-born Ventures: