Visitor Appointment Process
The visitor appointment process varies by faculty. The following steps are meant as a guide to help you identify the path to take if you are seeking to invite an international visitor.
Some important considerations when you are planning to invite an international academic:
- identify the contribution the visitor is expected to make to your department, research project, teaching.
- length of the visit
- funding arrangements
- prospective visitor's status at home institution (i.e., will be returning to position)
- obtain an up to date copy of the prospective visitor's CV
- prospective visitor's citizenship and country of residence
- health insurance requirements and cost (UHIP)
The above information will be needed to obtain the necessary internal approvals to bring a visitor to the Queen's campus and to write the letter of invitation which is one of the required documents to gain entry to Canada.
Seeking the appropriate internal approvals:
- Discuss the prospective visit with the Head of the Department/Unit and determine the faculty specific process for an academic visitor.
- In some faculties, for a longer stay (not to exceed 2 years), the visitor is given an academic staff appointment with appropriate rank. For this process, a letter from the appointee's home institution confirming the continuance of the position abroad is required.
- Review the Queen's Policy on insurance for visitors and volunteers http://www.queensu.ca/humanresources/policies/insurance/volunteersandvisitors.html.