Please enable javascript to view this page in its intended format.

Queen's University

Process, Place and Cost to Obtain Immigration Documentation


Most academic visitors need a work permit from Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) to work in Canada temporarily. Visitors who are coming for the purpose of interviewing for and academic position do not need a work permit. Visitors from certain countries need a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) in order to enter Canada.

Will the visitor require a work permit?

Academic visitors described in the categories above do not require a Labour Market Impact Assessment  (LMIA) from Service Canada. They require a copy ofform IMM 5802, completed by Queen's University, showing that the Employer Compliance Fee of $230 has been paid and the form has been submitted to CIC. For information on this process, please contact Monica Stewart, Faculty Recruitment and Support Program.

Generally, the online application process is the most efficient and fastest way to obtain work permits and/or TRVs.

The online application process starts on this site: Citizenship and Immigration

Where to apply:

 If the following requirements are met, academic visitors can apply for a work permit upon entering Canada at a "port of entry" (an airport, sea port or land border)

  • they are citizens of a country that is Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) exempt
  • they do not need a medical 
  • the work they will be doing does not need a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) - none of the categories described on this page require an LMIA.

Academic visitors who do not qualify to apply for a work permit at a port of entry must select the visa office that serves their country of residence, their country of nationality, or the country where they have been legally admitted. CIC offices are listed at the link below:

Visa posts have varying requirements for documentation. It is therefore extremely important to check the individual web site for the visa post and carefully review their requirements.  The work permit and the Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) are issued at the same time.


  • The cost of a work permit is $155 per person as of Spring, 2014. For most current fees, check
  • Payment options at Port of Entry: cash, money order (Canadian funds, payable to "Receiver General"), Visa, MasterCard or certified cheque.
  • Payment options at the visa post  vary. Check the web site of the individual offices.
  • There is no additional fee for the TRV when a work permit is requested.

Kingston, Ontario, Canada. K7L 3N6. 613.533.2000