Please enable javascript to view this page in its intended format.

Queen's University

Academics Requiring Work Permits


Citizens of certain countries require a visa to enter Canada in addition to the work permit. 
Check this web site for a list of visa countries:


Guest Lecturer

Invited by Queen's to give a series of lectures for a period of less than one academic term. Does not need to be a professor.

Documents required to obtain a work permit

  • proof of citizenship
  • letter of invitation
  • Form IMM5802, completed by Queen's
  • Visiting Professor

    Taking a position for not more than two academic years; retains position at the home institution.

  • proof of citizenship
  • letter of invitation 
  • letter from the home institution confirming retention of the position
  • Form IMM5802, completed by Queen's
  • Research Award Recipient

    Direct recipient of an academic research award paid by a Canadian academic institution or a foreign source.  Award granted strictly on the basis of academic excellence. Candidate must have a significant role to play or value to add to a particular research project, and not just be a member of a research team, doing data collection or principally involved in the more mundane aspects of the research being conducted. 

  • proof of citizenship
  • letter of invitation 
  • details of award received
  • Form IMM5802, completed by Queen's
  •  American, Mexican and Chilean University Teacher

    University teachers are included in the NAFTA and CCFTA lists of professionals who may be issued a work permit for up to three years.

  • proof of citizenship of the appropriate country
  • proof of pre-arranged employment from the Canadian institution
  • proof of minimum educational requirement (Baccalaureate or Licenciatura Degree)
  • Form IMM5802, completed by Queen's
  • Visitors described above will have to apply for a work permit. For forms and further details refer to Citizenship and Immigration.

    Visitors who have received a work permit must apply for a Social Insurance Number from the Government of Canada in order to work at and be paid by Queen's.

    Visitors described above do not require a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) from Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC).

    Please click here for further information on Form IMM5802, including the required $230 fee.

    Kingston, Ontario, Canada. K7L 3N6. 613.533.2000