Shibboleth provides a solid barrier between your website and the Internet. It protects your website by requiring the user to authenticate with their NetID and password before accessing any restricted content on your site.
The unique feature of our Shibboleth implementation is the ability to authenticate other university credentials as well. Shibboleth is best suited when deploying a web application that will be used by other Canadian universities.
Who Can Have It?
- This service is available to all Queen's staff and faculty
What are the Costs?
- Costs are based on ITServices' standardized general labour rates. Shibboleth implementations can differ greatly from project to project depending on the requirements. Generally you should expect between 10 to 20 hours of billable time, but to get a more confident estimate you are encouraged to talk with our team.
Please note these are only estimates and will change if specific customizations or late changes are made.
How Do I Get It?
- It is best to review the relevant documentation to familiarize yourself with Single Sign-On first. Please note that the implementation of Shibboleth differs at times from Single Sign-On but it is similar enough that the documentation should remain revelent.
- You will need to submit a request to the CAAS team. This request should be filled out by the project lead and a technical person. It is likely you may not have all the answers to each question; just fill in the information you know. The CAAS team will contact you within the next few business days to arrange a meeting to go over the details.
- After the requirements have been fully gathered, the CAAS team will provide you with a Statement of Work (SOW) that will outline the details of the implementation. Once the SOW is agreed upon, the CAAS team will begin work as stated in the agreement.
Service Level Objective
Please see the links below for Service Level Objectives:
Governing IT Policies
Users of this service are governed by the following policies, failure to comply may result, at a minimum, with suspension of service:
Help & Support