Single Sign-On (SSO) provides a solid barrier between your website and the Internet. SSO protects your website by requiring the user to authenticate with their NetID and password before accessing any restricted content on your site. This content can include your entire website or particular files and/or folders.
For more information on how SSO works, please visit the Simple SSO Process Diagram page.
Who Can Have It?
- This service is available to all Queen's staff and faculty.
How Do I Get It?
- It is best to review the relevant documentation to familiarize yourself with Single Sign-On first.
Submit a Request:
- You will need to submit a request to the SSO team. This request should be filled out by the project lead and a technical person. It is likely you may not have all the answers to each question; just fill in the information you know. The Single Sign-On team will contact you within the next few business days to arrange a meeting to go over the details.
- After the requirements have been fully gathered, the SSO team will provide you with a Statement of Work (SOW) that will outline the details of the implementation. Once the SOW is agreed upon, the SSO team will begin work as stated in the agreement.
Are there any Costs?
- Costs are based on ITServices' standardized general labour rates. Most SSO installations fall into one of our predefined categories. For each of the predefined categories, we are able to provide reasonable estimates. However, often small customizations or late changes must be made and that can affect the price. If additional labour is required due to customizations or late changes, then we will simply apply the standard hourly rate for every additional hour.
- Please keep in mind ITServices will best be able to provide you with a quote based on time and effort after a consultation.
Please note these are only estimates and will change if specific customizations or late changes are made.
- Simple webapp.queensu.ca PHP site with development environment - 5 hours
- Standard web application with development environment - 6 hours
- Standard web application without separate development environment - 12 hours
Advantages of SSO
There are some significant advantages to using SSO to protect your website or web applications:
- Your web pages are never accessed by the user unless the user has authentication and has been authorized from the SSO login page.
- Your application does not have to maintain a separate set of usernames and passwords. In fact, your application will never have access to the user's password.
- Users who are logged in to your application will also be able to access other SSO applications (such as my.queensu.ca) without any reauthentication.
- Avoids dealing with any LDAP or Active Directory connections to manage authentication.
- Low initial setup fee with no annual cost.
Service Level Objective
Please see the links below for Service Level Objectives:
Governing IT Policies
Users of this service are governed by the following policies, failure to comply may result, at a minimum, with suspension of service:
Help & Support