Contact Groups (Mailing Lists) in OWA
Mailing lists can be created in the Outlook Web App as a Contact Group. These groups can comprise of as many people as you want, and makes emailing a large number of people easy.
This tutorial will also cover Distribution Groups, which are Mailing Lists that appear on the GAL for the public to use.
Creating a Contact Group
- Select Contact on the Navigation Pane
- Click New, then select Group
- The New Group window will open
- Give your group a name
- Add members to your group by manually typing in their email addresses and clicking the Add to Group button, or see step 4 to add members using the GAL
- Use the Remove from Group button to make any changes to existing members
- If you'd like to add people from the GAL or from your contact list, click Members...to open it up
- Search for the people you wish to put on the group and double click to add to the list
- You can use the GAL or your own Contacts
- When you are done, click OK
- Back the the New Group window, click Add to Group, and thenSave and Close
If you would like your contact group published to the Global Address List (GAL) on the Exchange server so that other people can use it, it becomes something called a distribution group. The reason to do this would be so that the group could be used to invite people to meetings. The most common type of list that would be published as a distribution group would be a departmental or unit list.
To request a Distribution Group
Your ITAdmin Rep must make the request to have a distribution group published to the GAL. The form will ask for the name of the primary and secondary owners of the group. These will be the people who can manage the group once it’s been created.
Managing a Distribution Group
Distribution groups must be managed using the Outlook Web App.
- From the upper right-hand corner of the screen, click on the Options dropdown menu and select See All Options
- Click on Manage your organization in the Shortcuts to administrative tools box on the right-hand side of the screen. Note: If you do not see Manage your organization, you may not be setup as an owner of the distribution group. Contact your ITAdmin Rep to have them request that these rights be set up for you.
- Click on the Distribution Groupsicon.
- Find your distribution group in the list and double-click on the name.
- At the bottom of the screen, you will see a list of distribution group management functions.
- Click on the down arrow beside Membership, and use the Add and Remove buttons to manage the membership of your distribution group.