IT Support Centre
The IT Support Centre is the first point of contact for faculty, staff and students with ITS. We provide support for the services offered through ITS. Our services include, but are not limited to:
- Identity Management (NetID)
- Operating Systems (Mac and Windows)
- Services (for a full list see the A-Z list)
- Software: Installation and troubleshooting,
- Networking: Troubleshooting, IP assignment, wireless setup, VPN,
- Security: Virus, email (spam and phishing), copyright
We provide our services through:
- Call Centre (1st and 2nd Level Support)
- Telephone Support
- Remote Assistance
- Assist with issues related to computer use/troubleshooting, email access, use and access of services and account based problems
- Assist with technical issues for laptops and mobile devices as well as other IT-related inquiries
- Online Help Form
- Assist with technical issues and other IT-related inquiries
- Please note that while the Online Help Form can be submitted 24 hours a day, requests will be responded to during the regular IT Support Centre hours
- Drop-off Depot
- Diagnostics and repair
- Priority Service (front of the line)
- Computer builds (install OS, install software, user profile setups)
- Backup and Recovery of working systems that have an accessible drive without drive removal required
- Attempted virus removal
- Hardware troubleshooting to determine whether a hardware or software issue
- Direct Computer Support
- Chargeable service available to departments to support administrative functions. Requires standardized systems that meet best practice.
- Support of computer system
- Support of services being accessed by user
- Direct access to dedicated departmental support hotline and web form
- No-charge Onsite Visits
- Loaner laptop while your computer is in the Drop off depot
- Priority no charge service in Software Depot
- Additional Services Included
- Multimedia/Classroom Support
- Encryption Service
- Windows computers use BitLocker and Macs use FileVault to fully encrypt the hard drive
- System Requirements:
- Macintosh: running OS X 10.7 or newer
- Windows 7 Enterprise or Ultimate
- Windows 8.1 Pro, Enterprise, or RT
- Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise
- If your computer does not meet the System Requirements you will need to have your operating system upgrade.
- Computers requiring an Operating system Upgrade will be upgraded to Windows 8.1 Enterprise or Windows 10 Enterprise
- Loaner laptops available to any staff and faculty member who requires a Queen's owned computer to be upgraded in order to support Window Bitlocker encryption - available until January 1, 2017 (loaner laptops for encryption are limited and appointments will be required)
Who Can Have It?
- All members of the Queen's community, including all faculty, staff and students
Are There Any Costs?
- Call Centre
- Telephone Support - no charge
- Remote Assistance - no charge
- Walk-In - no charge
- Drop-off Depot (for software)
- Diagnostic and repair - $25 flat rate
- Priority Service (front of the line) - $85 / hour
- Elective software / operating system install - $55 / hour
- Onsite Support - $85 / hour
- Direct Computer Support
- $300 Best Practice
- See the Direct Computer Support Service Page for more details
How Do I Get It?
- Call Centre - phone 613.533.6666
- Walk-in - Mackintosh-Corry Hall, Rm B205 (on Student Street across from the cafeteria).
- Drop-off depot - Mackintosh-Corry Hall, Rm B205 (on Student Street across from the cafeteria).
- Onsite - schedule a visit to your office on campus
- Direct Computer Support - Subscribe to service.
How Do I Discontinue It?
- When you leave Queen's University as either an employee, faculty or as a student, you will lose access to the use of the Support Centre. We will still assist in the use of the Solus / HR Self Service and any other pre-agreed service access (faculty and alumni email)
- Please see the Service Termination Dates page for details when service will be discontinued following departure from Queen's.
- The targeted availability of this service is 7 hours a day, Monday through Friday. Our web form is available 24 x 7.
- Closed evenings, weekends and holidays
Governing IT Policies
Users of this service are governed by the following policies, failure to comply may result, at a minimum, with suspension of service:
Help & Support
Contact the IT Support Centre by calling 613.533.6666 during regular business hours or by filling out the Online Help Form.