Microsoft Lync 2013 Quick Start Guide
This document describes the installation and initial configuration of Microsoft Lync 2013.
If you are using Office 2013 for Windows, the full Lync client is already included in that suite. Otherwise, Lync 2013 Basic is available for download on MyQueensU. Lync 2013 Basic works with Office 2010 (32-bit or 64-bit). To find out which version of Office you are using, please refer to the Microsoft page: Am I running 32-bit or 64-bit Office?
Microsoft Lync Basic 2013 gives you instant messaging (IM), audio and video calls, online meetings, availability (presence) information, and sharing capabilities all from one, easy-to-use program. It’s a slimmer version of the full Lync 2013 client and provides the same core functionality.
For a list of supported features among Lync client versions, please see this Client Comparison Table from Microsoft.
Note: If you currently have Office 2013 installed on your computer, the full version of Lync 2013 is already included. Skip to step 7 to launch Lync.
- Go to MyQueensU and sign in using your NetID and password
- Select the Software Centre tab
- Select the version of Lync that corresponds to the version of Office you are using. Choose either the 32-bit (recommended) or 64-bit version.
- Once the download has completed, locate the Lync installer and double-click it to launch the installation wizard.
- If a User Account Control prompt is displayed, click Yes
- Check the box beside I accept the terms of this agreement.
- Click Continue
- The Chose the installation you want screen will open
- Click the Install Now button
- The Installation Progress screen will be displayed
- Wait for the installation to complete.
- The Thank your for installing Microsoft Lync ... screen will open
- The Setup screen will open, requesting a reboot to complete the setup.
- Once your computer reboots, launch the program from the Start Menu
- From the Start menu select All Programs
- From the list of Programs, select Microsoft Office 2013
- Select Lync 2013 from the flyout menu
- The First things first. screen will open
- Select Use recommended settings
- Click the Accept button
- The Lync client will launch
- If a User Account Control prompt is displayed, click Yes to allow changes
- In the Sign-in address field, enter your Queen's email address. Note: this must be your email@example.com email address, a firstname.lastname@example.org email alias will not work.
- Click the Sign In button
- The Lync Basic screen will open.
- You are now logged in.
- For help, click the Options icon, and from the flyout menu select Help.