Active Directory (AD) Service
To access files stored in your Departments Windows File Share from off campus use the Virtual Private Network.
Who Can Have It?
- All Queen's departments, Instructional Units, and Queen's Affiliated Groups are eligible for this service.
Are there any costs?
- Basic service is free to departments covered by baseline funding.
- ITS will provide a free needs assessment.
How Do I Get It?
- To get started, please contact the IT Support Centre by calling 613.533.6666 or by filling out the Online Help Form .
Windows Active Directory Service (AD) is an enterprise solution for managing user and computer accounts. Active Directory contains all Queen's NetIDs. These accounts are updated nightly. Also, as new people come to the University, they are automatically propagated to the AD. In addition to the accounts, there are several groups that are globally maintained. These would include Class Enrollments, HR Appointments and Student Course Concentrations. AD also allows the use of Group Policies to help manage day-to-day tasks on PCs and Users.
- For a comparison between OneDrive for Business, QShare, and Windows File Service see File Storage and Sharing Service Comparison
- The Master Service Agreement governs all of the Managed Services for Windows;
- Appendix A provides additional information specific to the Active Directory Service.
Service Level Objective
Please see the links below for Service Level Objectives:
- Backup, Recovery, Archiving and Retention
- Facilities Management Page
- Service Level Objective - Availability
- Service Interruption and Restoration
Governing IT Policies
Users of this service are governed by the following policies, failure to comply may result, at a minimum, with suspension of service:
- Electronic Information Security Policy Framework
- Intellectual Property - QUFA Collective Agreement, Article 16