Managed Services for Windows - TSM Backup Service
Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) is a backup service provided by Queen's University Information Technology Services. This service allows users to back up the disk drives on most workstations connected to the campus network. The backup process may be set up to be fully automated or it may be manually initiated by the user.
Note: ITS no longer supports the TSMDaily tool - contact the ITSC for alternatives to scheduled backups.
- TSM Backup is a fee-based service available only to Queen's University Staff and Faculty.
- There are two versions available: one for servers and one for personal computers.
- Please submit this form to request a TSM Personal or Departmental Account.
- Once you have registered:
Managing Your Backup
It is the user's responsibility to ensure that their files are being backed up. The base install will back up everything on your computer, including software that you may not require to be backed up. If you exceed the default 5GB of storage that comes with your license, your department will be billed accordingly for the extra storage space. Please see our Service Fees page for details.
If you choose to exclude files from your backup to save money it is possible that files you want may not be backed up. If you choose to use Exclude statements it is your responsibility to ensure that what you want backed up is actually being backed up. Additionally, you should review what you are excluding every time you add new software to your computer, as these files could be affected by the exclude statements. If you would like to know how much data your are backing up you can contact the IT Support Centre.
Warning: If you use Microsoft Outlook as your email client, you must close Outlook in order for TSM to back it up. Please note that Outlook should be closed for at least 5 minutes before beginning your TSM backup.
- The cost for the TSM Personal Backup Service and the TSM Server Backup Service are the same.
- Please refer to our page on Service Fees for details.
- If you exceed the default storage capacity (5 GB) provided with each account, your department will be billed for the extra storage accordingly. Please see our Service Fees page for details on costs associated with extra storage.
- The Master Service Agreement governs all of the Managed Services for Windows; Appendix F provides additional information specific to the TSM Backup Service for Servers.