Windows Application Server
An Application Server that utilizes Microsoft's Windows Server 2008 R2 or Server 2012 R2 operating system to host applications.
Who Can Have It?
- Departments, Instructional Units, and Queen's Affiliated Groups are eligible.
Are there any costs?
- Client will purchase equipment. Please refer to our page on Service Fees for details.
- ITS will provide a free needs assessment.
How Do I Get It?
- To request an application server, please contact the IT Support Centre at 613.533.6666.
ITS recommends applications that are compatible with VMware Virtual Machine (VM) technology be installed on a VM in our secure data center. Please refer to Virtual Machine Hosting for more details.
Applications requiring their own physical Windows Server are housed and maintained by ITS. These servers are purchased by the client to ITS standards, and ITS will maintain the server. The server is located in a secure, climate-controlled and UPS-maintained facility. The security and maintenance patches are applied to the servers on a scheduled basis. Servers are monitored and backups are maintained. The client is responsible for ensuring the application on the server is patched, secure and updated.
- The Master Service Agreement governs all of the Managed Services for Windows; Appendix C provides additional information specific to the Windows Application Server.
Service Level Objective
Please see the links below for Service Level Objectives:
- Backup, Recovery, Archiving and Retention
- Facilities Management Page
- Service Level Objective - Availability
- Service Interruption and Restoration
Governing IT Policies
Users of this service are governed by the following policies, failure to comply may result, at a minimum, with suspension of service:
- Electronic Information Security Policy Framework
- Intellectual Property - QUFA Collective Agreement, Article 16